Today we’re going to cover 7 easy tips on how to better prepare your home for spring. Spring cleaning time is here and we here at Metro-Flow Plumbing agree that it is the best time to have your home properly inspected. Give us a call at 214-328-7271 to schedule an inspection with any of our certified and insured plumbers. Also, be sure to check out our website for all our services.
Let’s get to it.
The following are 7 easy ways on how to prepare your home for spring in no particular order.
- Change air filters around your home to keep things fresh and your family healthy. Though your HVAC system filter should be changed regularly, spring is a perfect time to make sure all your filters are up to date across the board. From your kitchen’s range top to even your water purification system.
- Let’s give that old water heater a check up. Did you know that to maintain a water heater in peak condition you should get it flushed out once a year? When was the last time yours was? Yearly water heater flushes can increase the longevity of the water heater and one of our certified plumbers can come out to inspect and service it for you.
- They don’t call it spring cleaning for nothing. Now is the perfect time to get rid of clutter around your home and tidy up all the cabinets and drawers that usually get forgotten. Make sure to check under your sink and while you’re down there, check for any sneaky leaks. Have we told you we offer professional, certified plumbing inspections? We can check that all pipes are in working order and not just the ones you can see with the naked eye.
- Weeds are pesky yard nuisances that plague every homeowner’s lawn. After clearing out your garden beds of these, use mulch to prevent them from growing again. Not only is mulch decorative but it also serves a purpose. By filling each target area with at least 3 to 4 inches of mulch it’ll keep sunlight from reaching the weeds and keep them from growing. Mulch will bring a garden alive with its decorative bright colors.
- Clean out your gutters! Clogged gutters will cause long term damage to your home. Get a ladder and carefully climb it. While wearing gloves, scoop out any leaves, twigs and debris along the perimeter of your home. Afterwards, wash out the gutters using a hose to clean up anything you missed. A nifty trick, if you spot any leaks while doing this you will know exactly where a gutter needs fixing. Need help? Give us a call and we’ll give you a hand!
- Check that all your outside and patio furniture is up to speed and ready for the months of bar-b-quing ahead. Guests will come and go if you’re having get-togethers, you want to make sure your furniture isn’t falling apart. Make sure your gas grill has a full tank of gas for grilling. If you happen to have a deck, sweep it, and remove any built up mildew from it. If you’re going to pressure wash it be sure to protect your deck by staining it and sealing the wood.
- Check your roof now that the harsh winter weather is gone. Don’t wait until fall to check if your roof needs repair, do it now and beat the last minute roof repair rush. Make sure you’re not missing any shingles. If you’re not sure about checking things yourself, and we do recommend against it, get a professional to do a proper roof inspection.